Saturday 18 April 2009

Official Warning

I had an official warning yesterday. Minutes after our briefing for RSA I couldn't see my laptop screen. By the time I got back into the office I share with Bev and Larissa, I couldn't see much of anything. Even when I closed my eyes, it was all swimmy.

Migraine. Wow, years since I had one of these.

Bundled off back to my room, I went to bed, because there wasn't actually anything else I could do. Field the amazingly kind offers of help from friends here, but then just close my eyes.

Acceptance is amazingly peaceful. I feel like I've been in a state of "just another email, just another hour of trying to get this done, or if I work this Saturday, I'll clear the backlog" for months now. Now finally, it was beyond my control.

And you know what? I wasn't stressed, hassled frantically sending my mind in 360degree spirals wondering how I was going to get things done. I just stopped. Even now, nearly 24 hours later, after a long long nights sleep, I'm up early, but I'm writing this, not juggling datasheets or presentations or thinking about how to meet some deadlines for next week. I am thinking about what I have to do, but I'm also thinking that unless I stop thinking about it, I'm going to be in the same state as I was yesterday.

It's like the stress swam out with my vision. For the time being anyways.

I missed my only Friday night that I get to spend in the Bay area this trip, I was going to cycle some more of the Bay Trail, then go for dinner at Town or Cask here in San Carlos. But boy did I enjoy the sleep. I enjoyed the fact that my neighbour turned his darned TV off for what must be the first time in a week. Even the refrigerator in the suite that I'm in seemed to be quieter last night. But I can do Friday on Wednesday, or next time.

Isn't it great when a wake up call actually means that you get to sleep soundly?

No comments: